Friday, September 30, 2011

The Legend of Tarzan

I grew up watching a lot of Tarzan. Whether it was the 90s TV show or one of the old movies that were shown late at night, I used to love the Tarzan stories. Of course, I am a big fan of the Disney film of the same name. It is a great mix of action, adventure, comedy and heart. Not to mention that the Phil Collins music is crazy awesome (screw what Matt Stone and Trey Parker say :p ).

Just recently, I accidentally recorded an episode of the old TV show, The Legend of Tarzan. Since I missed it when it first aired I decided to watch it, and much to my surprise, I like it! It's nothing like the actual film (as it is expected out of a Disney TV series), but it gets me nostalgic for the old Tarzan TV shows and movies. I even like it more than the old Aladdin TV show!

I just love how Tarzan has grown a lot since we last saw him on the movie, but retains his charming "wild" side. The rest of the characters are fun, though some of the voice casting is rather odd. Terk sounds more like a man than a woman, even if the original Rosie O'Donnell voice was deeper than the typical female voice.

The stories are really good. My favorite episode is the one where they meet US President Teddy Roosevelt and they go on a safari, where he is kidnapped and held for ransom. I also liked the episode where three of Jane's friends come to visit her under the idea that she is held there against her will. It was really fun seeing elemens of the Porter's old London make its way to the jungle. There was a follow up episode where the girls bring along a cultured, geeky man, and Tarzan begins to feel incomplete.

One thing I find interesting about the show is how in the movie, it looked as if the jungle Tarzan and the apes lived in was desolate save for the Porter camp site, yet in the show there are several tribes, trading posts and several places that make the jungle more lively. I think this feels more convincing than the movie, and it also gives the show more story opportunities beyond the animals in the jungle.

Great show, awesome movie, incredible literary character. I wish to read the original stories and see how they differ from all the adaptations ever created.

-Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment