Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Value of Love, Loyalty, and Tolerance

Today, I was planning on talking about umbrellas, and tell a very personal story that dealt with one. But in the evening something happened that challenged my beliefs. I felt like talking about it to my friends.

Without naming names, someone on a social network blogged about how American people were being racist towards the Japanese, because Japan had defeated the US at soccer. Needless to say, it was a horrible thing to watch. But something far worse happened. This friend was obviously very offended, to the point where she stated her wishes of leaving the country.

I reblogged the post, stating that as awful that this was if we tried to fight it with anger and hate it just make things worse, and that no matter where you move or what belief you adopt you would still face a lot of anger. It would even get worse if you adopt that train of thought.

Soon, that friend reblogged my post, pretty much stating that nothing would change her mind, that she had so many issues with this country that she no longer respected it and wished for it to burn to the ground. She realized that this was an irrational thought, but believed too strongly with it to be convinced otherwise.

At that point, I felt genuine anger. I am a strong believer of love and tolerance towards your fellow man. Yes, there are times in which hatred and bigotry get so bad you need to fight back, and can't help but feel furious. But to wish death and destruction upon a country just because of your own issues with it?

It got so bad that I actually shed tears of anger and disappointment. My beliefs were outright challenged in the worst way possible. Why? Growing up I had very few friends, and the ones I had I cherished dearly. Thanks to the wonders of technology I have been able to find friends where I least expected. North America, Canada, Europe, other parts of Latin America, gay, straight, atheist, Christian, Catholic, Jewish etc.

But most importantly, all of them saw something special in me. They have helped me make my dreams come true, changed my perception of loyalty and have given me their support when I most needed it.

This has been such life changing that I decided to never judge a country or place based on the actions of a few. In other words, just because there is a group that claims to represent a majority it doesn't mean I have to conform into what they believe and let my heart and soul be the judge of that.

I have many wonderful American friends, so it offends me when I see people judging Americans based on the actions of a few. I also have Canadian friends and I too hate the Canada bashing. I have learned to not quickly judge people because you never know who might end up being your friend. You can have disagreements, sure, but to wish upon them harm and judge them unfairly means you are contributing to the wave of anger, hate and resentment going on in the world.

That's why the comment hurt me so deeply, even though it wasn't directly aimed at me. I have American friends who love their country, who have fought hard to make their dreams a reality and have shared their wisdom with me. The idea of them being destroyed despite being innocent just hurts me, hence why I cried afterwards.

We all want change and want a better world for our kids to live in, but often don't want to set the example. It is very easy to do. Be the exception to the rule, not the norm. Love is a far stronger weapon. If you use anger and hate as your weapon, you may get things done, but you are just making things worse, and keeping alive that is keeping people from truly evolving.

That's my story, and I am DEFINITELY sticking to it.

-Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment